<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 20, 2004

Quick! I just put the cookies in the oven!

No. That's not code for anything. It's actually the truth! I love ready bake cookies and I decided that I would write a blog for the time that it took for the cookies to bake. (13.5 mins)

I FINALLY got the information I needed to file for unemployment. It came via Fed Ex this morning. I went down to the Dept. of Labor (DOL) this afternoon and got all set up. They are some efficient folks down there at the DOL! I was in and out in less than an hour! Wish me luck that my claim will be approved!

I was talking to my sister last night via IM and to pass the time between responses, I "Googled" her name. (Is "Googled" in the Dictionary yet? If "Bootylicious" is, it seems like "Googled" should be!) Someone with my sister's exact legal name is a President of a College in California! Now, the reason that this is so amazing is that my sister's whole first name (everyday she goes by a nickname) is not common at all. So add this unusual first name with her last name and my eyes were popping out of my head!

The story that Mom told me about when she named my sister was that she wanted her to have a really original name that not just anyone would have. Mom and my sister's Dad thought long and hard and came up with what they thought was the perfect name. On the way home from the hospital with my sister, Mom and my sister's Dad passed through a "less than reputable" part of town, and there splashed on the marquee was a featured stripper with my sister's name. Mom says they about swallowed their tongues.

I love my sister's name. I always have! The only time that I didn't like it was when I would hear her ex husband use her full first name to call her from his recliner to do something he was totally capable of doing, like finding the remote or cleaning out the ashtray. If you haven't noticed, my feelings for my ex brother in law are not very pleasant. To say he was the Spawn of Satan would be an insult to Satan. No, I didn't care for him much.

My name, on the other hand, has challenged me my whole life. My name is spelled one way, but pronounced another. On the one hand, I'm proud of my name because I am named after my grandmother. On the other hand, I'm forever having to tell people the correct pronunciation of my name. Today I got kind of a thrill though! When I went to the DOL, I just told the lady at the front desk that my name was the same as how it is spelled. I figured that it would save on confusion. However when my name was called by the orientation person, she pronounced it correctly! That doesn't happen very often!

Back to Googling: I googled myself and someone with my name is an accomplished poet. I googled my nephew and he is married to a woman named Stacy and has a Real Estate company. In addition, he was an accomplished soccer player, and wanted to "dazzle the kids of West Philly."

For you folks out there that miss playing with paperdolls, there is a website where you can dress up a doll with all sorts of hair, clothes, accessories and shoes. Check it out!

Alright, the cookies have come out of the oven and have cooled sufficiently. It's time to settle down with the cats and watch today's episode of Days of Our Lives. Woo Hoo! What a life I lead, huh? ;-)



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com