<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 29, 2004

Looking back...

I'm kinda on a nostalgia kick right now. On JC's blog we've been discussing all sorts of stuff that included toys and my aversion to blonde haired/blue eyed Barbies.

I was talking to my friend A today. We have been friends since I was 8. I'm now a month shy of 37. That's pushing 30 years of friendship!

When we were kids, we both liked to sing. It was the mid 70's at this time so we were really into Heart and Fleetwood Mac. My parents had this big ass stereo in the living room and we would put the Fleetwood Mac and Heart albums on and take turns singing into a spoon or a brush or some other microphone shaped thing. Now, A is blonde and I have dark brown hair. At one point we decided that I would sing the brown haired girls parts and A would sing the blonde. However, it never worked out that way. A wanted to sing Ann Wilson's songs (who was a brunette) and she wanted to sing Stevie Nicks' songs. (who was a brunette back then)
Even when we were kids, A was always able to get her way.

A was absolutely fascinated with "The Wizard of Oz." I spent the night with her one time when it came on TV and the whole family crammed into the front room of the mobile home they lived in to watch. By the end of the movie, we had too much togetherness and we all went outside to get some air. Before too long, we had filled most of the principal parts of the Wizard of Oz with A's brothers and sisters and we were reenacting the movie. A was Dorothy (a brunette, I might point out) I was Glenda the Good Witch, V was the Wicked Witch, C was the scarecrow, M was the cowardly lion, R was the Wizard, and T was Toto (she was 3) We had dual roles playing the other parts as needed. We all knew every word to every song in the movie, most of the dialogue and even most of the choreography! By the time we had finished, A's Mom had cut up a watermelon for us and we sat on the porch eating it and laughing about our rendition of the movie.

Another favorite thing A and I did was playing "Charlie's Angels." Finally I was able to be exactly who I wanted to be without A trying to horn in on the part. I was always Sabrina (the Kate Jackson part). A was Jill or Chris (the Farrah Fawcett or Cheryl Ladd part). Kelly (the Jaclyn Smith part) was always with us, but she was invisible to the naked eye. We reinacted shows we saw on TV, or we made up our own plot. Inevitably it ended up with us meeting the "boys" at our apartment for a date. The "boys" in our minds were David Cassidy for me and Donny Osmond for A. Our apartment could have been A's room, or a fort we built or some other imaginary place.

Those were really good times. Do kids even do stuff like that anymore?

What did you used to play when you were a kid?

Update:
I read this blog to my friend A. She said that I made her sound like the bossy friend. I said, "But you were the bossy friend!" She replied, "Was I the bossy friend, or were you the doormat?" Only friends that have known you for 30 years can give you that kind of truth! ;-)


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com