<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 10, 2004

My name is Prince!

OK, maybe not. ;-)

Jef and I are getting the pleasure of meeting JC, LIVE AND IN PERSON, on Sunday. Anshu, JC's friend, and Jef's partner, 2F, are going to be there too, but it's all about JC, Jef and me! (Just kidding!)

Jef and JC had a conversation on the phone last night as they were discussing some financial stuff regarding JC purchasing a home. (Jef is a very talented Mortgage Broker) After they finished their "business" talk, I was told they moved on to personal stuff.

Jef and I talked late last night and he recounted how JC called me "Joan." (rhymes with loan) My first thought about that was "Why would she call me "Joan" (rhymes with own) - she knows me? DUH! That's what it looks like to the general public and since she only knows me in the cyberworld (at least until Sunday) She would have not heard me introduce myself or someone call my name!

Jef then went on to explain to JC that my name is spelled J-O-A-N, but pronounced "Jo-Ann."

Needless to say, having people call me "Joan" (rhymes with bone) has been something I've lived with my entire life. I correct people politely at first, and if I don't see you on a regular basis or we don't become friends, I don't hold it against you if you call me "Joan" (rhymes with moan) again, but I will correct you again.

However, if I see you all the time, and we become friends, I must admit to getting a little testy if you call me "Joan." (rhymes with shown) As a matter of fact, I had a little epiphany the other day about a person who, after knowing me for at least 6 months and proclaiming to be my friend, still called me "Joan." (rhymes with grown) I realized that if she didn't have the respect to learn my name after that length of time, then why was I choosing to spend time with her? Yep, I think I will wish her well and release her.

"So why is your name spelled and pronounced the way it is?" is a question I get often. I am named after my paternal Grandmother, who passed away before I was born. When I asked that question of my Dad, he didn't have any answers for me other than, "That's just what your Great Grandmother wanted to name your Grandmother." My Dad always did have a wonderful grasp of the obvious!

"So why don't you spell your name differently or put an accent over the "A" or capitalize the "A?" are also questions I have gotten. Quite simply, changing my name in any way, changes my identity. I am Joan.

Another thing that Jef and I talked about last night was the correct pronunciation of JC and Anshu's names. (No, it's not just pronounced JAY-CEE! Those who know her understand!) I've always been very cognizant of correct pronunciation and spelling of names as a result of my own name, so JC and Anshu, if I don't get it right, please correct me!

I had the good fortune to grow up in a small town from the time I was in 4th grade until I graduated High School. Almost 10 years ago, I went to my 10 year high school reunion, (yep, 20 year reunion is coming up!) and one of my friends came up to me and said, "You know, Joan, whenever anyone tells me their name is "Jo Ann," I spell it J-O-A-N. That's the only way I've known to spell it after growing up with you!" I thought that was such a sweet thing to say.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:-)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com