<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 24, 2004

I'm b-a-a-a-ck!
 
Yes, I took a little hiatus from blogging for a week so that those who might visit my site would consider sponsoring Pickle Juice during the Project Blog Blog-a-thon on July 24, 2004.  She is blogging for Kids Against Hunger, who is also her employer.  Please sponsor if you can, and/or send her good wishes as she blogs every 30 mins. for 24 hrs. to raise money for this very worth cause.
 
What's been going on?  Well, let's see....My beautiful and talented sister celebrated the anniversary of her 29th birthday on July 18, 2004!  She was in lovely Haslet, TX (a 'burb of Ft. Worth) visiting her stepmom, son, and various and asundry relatives and friends.  My sister and I grew up in and around Ft. Worth, so it's our stompin' grounds.  I can't wait to hear about the trip! 
 
I was flipping through channels the other day and came upon a very disturbing sight:  leeches.  Normally, that would be enough to cause me to keep flipping, however I was "hip-no-tyzed" and continued to watch the show.  They were talking about how leeches are used to suck out "infected" blood.  The big catch is leeches can't digest the blood, so they sprinkle them with the spice cumin, and it causes the leeches to "vomit" the blood back up, otherwise the leeches would die.  They showed people helping the leeches along on the quest to vomit up the bad blood and it was most disturbing.  I sat on the couch with a pained look on my face, not unlike a person driving by a crash scene.  I just couldn't stop watching even though it was horrifying.  Bleah!  
 
Shelby, wonder kitty, will soon need to take on another name:  Puppy cat.  Her new favorite toy is a wadded up piece of paper that she bats around for a while and then picks it up in her mouth and lays it at my feet.  I pick it up and throw it and she eventually brings it back to me to throw again.  It's really interesting to hear a cat meow when she's carrying around something in her mouth.  
 
I got a call from Jef earlier today.  Here's our conversation:
 
Jef:  Joan are you sitting down?
Joan:  Umm...yes
Jef:  Well, remember you told me you'd be happy to take my ticket if I didn't go to the Madonna concert?  
Joan:  (sudden intake of all the oxygen in the room) Yes....!!!
Jef:  I'm still going, but one of the guy's sister had to back out at the last minute and there is a spare ticket if you want it!
Joan:  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jef:  You can get it only if you quit making that high pitched noise you're making.
Joan:  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Jef hung up the phone.  I just couldn't help squealing with delight!  I just love me some Madonna, man!  Truth be known, I've only recently come out about my loving Madonna.  I went through the early part of her career in the Madonna closet.  Then, "Ray of Light" came out and so did I!! I love Madonna and I'm not afraid to tell the world!!!  I drove my roommate at the time crazy because anytime we were in the car, I wanted to play the CD.  She liked the CD the first 87 times I played it.  Then after that, not so much.  I'M SO EXCITED THAT I GET TO GO TO THE CONCERT!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;-D
 
JC is paying us another visit this weekend!  She's not coming here to see Jef and I, per se, but we do get to be squeezed into her appointment book for a period of time on Sunday.  It will be so nice to see her and spend some more time with her. 
 
The last time JC was in town, she visited Anshu, and Jef and I met them for brunch.  It was the first time we met JC (and Anshu) in person.  I blogged about it and one of my friends read what I wrote about our meeting and started to question my sexuality. 
 
Her:  Joan, you sure did go on and on about how beautiful they were! 
Me:  Yeah, so? 
Her:  Well, it almost seemed..."Lesbian-ish." 
Me:  (heavy sigh)  Oh please!  They were beautiful - stunningly beautiful!  Maybe I did go a little overboard with it, but it was because sometimes I don't think JC realizes how beautiful she is and I wanted to make sure she read that about herself and maybe she'll believe it a little more about herself.  HOWEVER, it was not meant in a "lesbian-ish" way.
Her:  Well, alright...you're not wearing flannel or anything are you?
 
GEEZ LOUISE!  Why can't a straight woman say that another woman is beautiful and not be looked at with the suspicion of being a lesbian?  Not that I mind it if someone decides to peg me as a lesbian.  Some of the most beautiful "non-flannel-wearing-never-even-thought-of- having-a-mullet" lesbians I know are some of my best friends and the absolute best people on God's green earth.  So, if you want to call me a lesbian...go right ahead, friend!  I'll consider it a compliment.
 
I don't remember if I've made a plug for my friend, Robogrrl, yet.  If I haven't, here it is.  If I have, here it is again.  She is a "real life" friend of JC's and I've really enjoyed reading her writing and her thoughts on the world.  Give her a read if you get the chance.  Also, check out the cartoon that Ben created for her.  When I pointed it out to Jef, he said simply, "I love Ben's drawings!"  Look Ben up while you're at it.  He usually posts a drawing pretty frequently on his own site and it seems he's a mighty fine photographer, too!  He's another of JC's "real life" friends.
 
Well, if I want to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the Madonna concert, I'd better get some sleep, so I'm outta here for now.  Take care, all!
 
:-) 


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com