Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Stars at Night...

My time with S & D was very nice. S unfortunately had to work, but I got to spend some time with D which was great.

D & I got up relatively late on Thursday and headed toward a favorite eatery of S & D's called "Fresh Choice." Unfortunately it was closed down, but fortunately D had an idea of a good Tex Mex restaurant we could go to called Rio Mambo. I can't get enough of some good Tex Mex and we practically had the restaurant to ourselves.

From there we stopped by to see A at work for a few minutes, and then over to Target. D helped me find not one, but TWO purses and both were less than $5.00 each on clearance! I was thrilled, to say the least!

That evening I drove to Plano and met my nephew and his paramour, N for dinner at a place called "BD's Mongolian Barbeque." I got there early and had a frosty globe of Shiner Bock and was so very happy! Eric was in the midst of moving so both he and N were tired, so we enjoyed our meal, talked for a bit and parted ways. I was sad, but I know I'll get to spend some time with Eric at Marti's wedding! (More on that later!)

Friday found me being so groggy that it felt like I hadn't slept. I wandered in to S & D's living room and planted my happy ass on S's recliner. I proceeded to stay planted there for the morning and most of the afternoon. D was busy in the kitchen baking a cake from scratch and cooking a sumptuous meal for dinner. She paused long enough to make me a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. I watched all of the episodes of "Starting Over" that D had graciously taped for me. (Oh how I want to have a TiVo when I grow up!!!) Please know that I asked D several times if she needed help. However D is one of those hostesses that insists that the guest does nothing. I was just groggy enough to not protest a lot. ;-) (Thanks, D for treating me like a Queen!)

S came home from work and we enjoyed the wonderful meal that D made for us. The cake was to die for!!! When dinner was done, we drove to Arlington to meet a co-worker of S's to see "The Village." (I enjoyed it!) On the way home we drove through Starbucks and got some wonderful chocolatly concoction and then headed back to the house for a "Days of Our Lives" Marathon! S and I have both been Days fans since practically the womb, and it's so much more fun to watch it with someone that you can make fun of it with!

Saturday I woke up to S & D making a wonderful breakfast. Afterward, I took a shower, packed up my car and gave big hugs to both S & D. I had such a good time with them and I miss them already.

I left S & D's and headed over to Dallas to H & K's house. They live in an old neighborhood called Oak Cliff. Most of the houses were built in the early 20th century and people have loving restored these old houses to their original beauty. H & K had not lived here long, and I couldn't wait to see their new home. As I drove up to the house I saw that it was really beautiful and was just as impressed when I got inside.

H & K had invited some friends over for dinner Saturday night, so K was already working on dinner. They were doing some yard work in the back and needed some lunch, so we zipped over to the Bishop Arts District for dinner. We ate at this wonderful South American place where the dining room sat only about 20 people. Luckily we got there at a time when we could just sit down, but H said they have waited as long as 2 hours for a table on a Saturday night.

The rest of the afternoon was spent getting ready for the evening. My assignment was to pick out music and I took this very seriously. Going through my 100 CD's that I brought to find the perfect mix. I was really pleased that everyone seemed to like my selections.

The friends began to arrive and we all enjoyed the wonderful food that H & K offered us for appetizers and the great wine they found on their recent trip to Colorado.

For dinner, K had made this sumptuous feast for us. We had a Roast with potatoes and carrots, homemade macaroni and cheese, salad, green bean casserole, crescent rolls and the list goes on and on. We sat at H & K's beautiful dining room table that was lit with candles and had a great time talking and eating.

Afterwards, we went out to the back patio and enjoyed the cooler evening. K and C smoked cigars and H and L baked brownies for everyone. It was a really nice evening.

Sunday we went to church and then went with the same friends from the dinner plus a few more for brunch at this cool dive of a diner. It was so good! After that, we took our full belly's home and indulged in a decadent Sunday afternoon nap.

Later that afternoon, we met C & L back out at the Bishop Arts District at "Ifs, Ands and Butts." This place specializes in selling sodas from the past and Cigars. They had Frostie's Rootbeer, Dad's Rootbeer, A & W, Grape, Orange and Peach Nehi, Microbrewed Root Beers and just novelty stuff that you've never seen before or thought they didn't make anymore. I just had to have a Grape Nehi and everyone else got various Root Beers. We parked ourselves across the street in front of an abandoned store front and in the shade and just shot the breeze and watched people go by. It was really nice and relaxing. We talked C & L into coming back to the house to help us eat leftovers from Saturday night and we watched a good dose of the Olympics.

Monday K had to work but H, who works from home, was able to make it a "light" day. I finally got up and moving and we went to another really cool diner that's been around forever. I had some chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and corn that made me want to slap my Momma! After that, H drove me around Oak Cliff so I could see all the beautiful houses and architecture before she dropped me off at the house while she went to run some errands. K came home and we had some good and much needed conversation. That evening, H & K did some yard work while I got ready for my trip home. H then grilled some steaks and sweet potatoes for dinner and I was in heaven.

Tuesday morning I packed up the car and headed out of town back toward ATL. I was in Texas just long enough. I didn't wear out my welcome and I wasn't dying to get back to ATL. It was just perfect. As I was driving, I recounted my trip and counted my blessings. I am so fortunate to have so many wonderful people in my life, both in Texas and out. I am so thankful for each and every person in my life.

I stopped in Jackson, MS again that evening. The next morning as I was headed out of town, I stopped for my final Whataburger until I go back to Texas for the holidays. I got into ATL around 5 and alerted everyone that I was back home. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I may never live in Texas again, but I'll always be a Texan.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com