<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I TRY not to hurt small children...really I do! 

However, by the end of Christmas Day, I wanted whack Andrea's niece upside her cute little pig-tailed head!!!

I wrote a post June 7, 2004 about the fact that I have a strabismus. (click here to read the original post) I have learned to live with it, and my friends and family tell me that after they have been around me for a while, they barely notice it.

I went to Texas to hang out with Andrea and her family for Christmas. One thing you should know is that Andrea is a bit of a control freak. I volunteered 865 times to do something to help with the Christmas meal, and this was met with silence or asking me to get the pepper from the cabinet.

Andrea's family started showing up, which included her nieces, ages 7 and 5. Andrea instructs me that I am going to help them dip strawberries in chocolate. COOL! I can do this. I wash the berries and have the girls pat them dry. I heat up the chocolate and get the paper plates ready for their freshly dipped berries. At last! I'm feeling somewhat useful!

The five year old is looking at me strangely. I know what she's looking at, however I decide to let her ask. Finally, she does.

"Are you looking at me?"

"Yes, I am," I reply.

"It doesn't look you are looking at me!"

I then patiently explain to her and her sister why my eyes look kind of different. I finish telling her and we continue dipping strawberries. A couple of moments pass and she says, "Look at me!"

I looked at her.

"Are you looking at me?"

"Yes, sweetie, I am!"

The child was in the house for at least another 2 hours. Outside of the time that she was being showered with presents, she was tracking me down and beseeching me to look at her. I smiled. I chuckled. I cajoled. However about the 75th time I heard her say, "Are you looking at me?" I was about at my wit's end.

I jammed my hands in pockets to make sure they would not involuntarily fly out and smack her upside her cute little head. Finally she and her family left. I heaved a huge sigh of relief.

Later that evening, I was talking to Andrea. "Your niece was about to drive me batty today!"

"Well, you started it!" she replied.

"I started it? What are you talking about?" I asked incredulously.

"You brought it to her attention."

"HELLO? She asked me about it. What was I going to do - LIE to the child?"

Andrea shrugged her shoulders. I grumbled to myself. Sometimes when you've known someone for close to 30 years, you realize that you really love them, but sometimes you just don't like them.

I wasn't liking Andrea so much right then.

:-)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com