<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My Horoscope 

If you take a look down toward the bottom of my "links," you'll see something called "Free Will Astrology." I started reading this guy's syndicated horoscopes in Atlanta's "Creative Loafing," and I may have also read him in Dallas' "Dallas Observer." I like him a lot because you can tell that he actually puts some creativity into what he writes.

I enjoy horoscopes like I enjoy fortunes in fortune cookies. I don't put a lot of stock in them, but I'm open to learning something or at least thinking about something differently whenever I read them.

I really enjoyed my horoscope for this week:

Cancer

"Since 1991, my Cancerian friend Jared has donated blood to a local blood bank 105 times. He volunteers as a big brother to fatherless kids and donates 20 percent of his salary to charity. Yet I've never once heard him ask anyone for help. Vanessa, another Cancerian friend, compulsively takes care of all her friends, bringing them home-cooked meals and thoughtful gifts whenever they're down. I know she suffers bouts of depression herself sometimes, but as far as I'm aware, no one brings her treats. Jared and Vanessa are going to be the poster children for my crusade to bring balance to your life in 2005. You simply must stop giving more than you receive; you've got to expand your capacity to accept assistance and blessings from other people."

That last sentence is the kicker! Man, has that been a hard lesson for me to learn. However, I have not had much of a choice with being unemployed and being out of money. I have received so much in the way of assistance and blessings from people that it just boggles my mind. I have had to learn to sit back, accept the assistance and blessings, and just say a very heartfelt, "Thank you." I am so incredibly thankful that I have the people in my life that I do.

It has taken me a long time to feel deserving for what I have received and what I am receiving, however I believe I have finally - tenatively - gotten to that place. I say tenatively because I have my days where I feel like such a loser and want to hide under a rock, but they are fewer and far between.

Never underestimate the power that you have to help another being. The power of a kind thought or word is immeasurable. The power of showing up and saying, "OK, I understand you are going through a tough time. What do you need me to do?" is beyond belief. I have been, and continue to be, on the receiving end of both of those scenario's. It has humbled me and strengthened me at the same time. It has humbled me in that I finally had to reveal that I needed help. The strength came from having the courage to ask for that help and feel worthy of it.

:-)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com