<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 14, 2005

Grammy Post Mortem 

Every year I watch the Grammy's and every year I wonder why. Except this year. It was one of the best Grammy's I've seen.

The highlight of the whole show for me was seeing a bald Melissa Etheridge singing her ass off during a tribute to Janis Joplin. I hadn't seen or heard about Melissa since it was revealed that she had breast cancer and when she walked out on the stage I couldn't help but tear up a bit.

How brave of her to step out on that stage! So much of a woman's identity seems to be tied up (no pun intended) in her hair, and losing it is very scary. I know this from watching my Mom as she lost hers. My sister and I tried to make the situation as light hearted as we could, but it was still traumatic for all of us.

...but I digressed...

The tribute song for the Tsunami victims was not that great, but I hope that it generates the money that it is intended to.

As Alicia Keyes and Jamie Foxx sang their rendition of "Georgia On My Mind," I couldn't help but pray that Jamie Foxx remains humble. He is so talented in so many ways and I hope that he doesn't let it go to head to the point that he starts doing silly things. However, hopefully since he is out of his 20's, that will work in his favor and he'll stay on the (semi) straight and narrow.

Was it me, or did the Jennifer Lopez/Marc Anthony duet fall really flat?

I was so surprised that John Mayer's "Daughters" won Song of the Year! It's not a bad song, but Song of the Year? I'm not convinced. This is from someone who actually got to witness the "birth" of John Mayer's big time music career and really likes him.

I really enjoyed the opening sequence, especially when you had the Black Eyed Peas singing "Let's Get It Started," Maroon 5 singing "This Love" and Los Lonely Boys singing "Heaven" all at the same time. It was cool how they blended.

I also was really impressed with Mavis Staples, Kanye West and The Blind Boys of Alabama when they blended their styles and did a little R&B, Gospel, and Rap Opera of sorts.

Queen Latifah didn't do a bad job being the host and I think she did a really great job when she sang a song from her "Dana Owens" album. She looked really pretty, too! I hope her stylist is getting paid well because they did a good job!

That's my take on the Grammy's. If you watched it, what did you think?

:-)
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com