<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day! 

As much as the media would like for me to be, I am not upset that it's Valentine's Day and I don't have a boyfriend or husband. Don't get me wrong - I would love to be involved with someone. It's been an embarrassingly long time since I've been in a relationship. However, I have learned that as much as I would like to, I cannot rush Mr. Right into existence. He will make his appearance at the exact right time and not a second before.

I was thinking about last Valentine's Day. I was at my sister's house. She had just moved to a new state, didn't know many people and was feeling kind of lonely, and I had just lost my job. We were in the living room watching TV and she was on her laptop looking at a picture of her future husband. She was mulling over the bio's of my future brother-in-law and someone else, and when she asked my opinion, I chose the other guy. Thank goodness she didn't listen to me! If she had, I wouldn't have had the honor of singing at her wedding last fall or gaining a new and wonderful family in the Captain and his kids and grandkids!

One of my favorite Valentine's stories was when I was dating Stan. Stan went to law school at UT Austin and came home a few weekends out of the month to visit his folks and work. That Valentine's Day, I made the trek to Austin for a romantic weekend visit.

I got to Austin and to Stan's apartment mid-afternoon. We spent the remainder of the afternoon saying "Hello." ;-) Saying "Hello" can work up quite and appetite, and Stan had made reservations for us at a really nice Italian restaurant called "Carmelo's." I had been on a low fat diet for quite a while and was looking forward to splurging that night.

The food was so good and the night was so romantic! I was so caught up in the romance that I can't remember what I ate, but it was in a cream sauce. After dinner, we strolled hand-in-hand down to get some ice cream. We made our way back to Stan's apartment and continued saying "Hello."

About 3am, I woke up feeling just awful. My stomach was churning and I knew I didn't have much time to get to the bathroom. I quietly slipped out of bed, made my way to the bathroom, shut the door and threw up. After weeks of being on a low fight diet, my body was rebelling against such a high fat dinner and dessert.

I was on all fours in front of the throne waiting to see if my body was finished punishing me. I heard tapping on the door:

Stan: Joan, are you alright?

Me: No. Not really.

(Long pause)

Stan: Do you need anything...a glass of water...?

Me: No, thank you.

(Even longer pause than before)

Stan: You do realize that's about $80.00 you put in the toilet, don't you?

I flushed, I stood up, I opened the door and pushed pass Stan, but not before shooting daggers at him with my eyes. I brushed my teeth and went back to bed with my back toward him and as far away from him as I could get.

It took a lot of groveling before I would consent to saying "Hello" to him in the morning.

:-)
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com