<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 30, 2005

Happy Memorial Day! 

To those of you that have served in the Armed Forces in the past or in the present, thank you for your service to our country. You are appreciated.

Man! This is allegedly the kick off weekend of the summer and it's been nothing but cool and rainy in the Atlanta area! I think it MIGHT have broken 70 degrees, and I'm doubtful of that. It makes a person want to hibernate in the house, and that's what I've ended up doing. I thought about going to the movie, but I figured everyone else probably had that same idea and I just stayed away from the crowd.

I had a lovely lunch outdoors with Jef on Saturday before the rain started. We went to this place over in East Atlanta that Jef has been raving about for a while because they have great salsa. It turns out they also have a really good jukebox and let me tell ya - I LOVE me some jukeboxes! I got 7 plays for $2 and Jef and I enjoyed some exceptionally yummy food while getting caught up on each other. It was really nice.

After that, we drove by the future home of "Bound to Be Read," which is the used bookstore that 2F and Jef have been working to get off the ground for the last couple of years. It's SO exciting to see this dream becoming a reality!

We then motored down to Best Buy so that Jef could purchase the DVD for "Forrest Gump." Supposedly he needs to make a character in his current movie script (coming to a theatre near you in the not too distant future!) a little "Gump-ier." We looked around at the CDs and lamented that there are not any really good used CD stores around like there used to be.

While Jef and I were talking at the restaurant, one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE songs came on the jukebox, "Oye Coma Va" by Santana. That song reminds me of how liberated I felt in my early 20's. I felt very grown up because I could buy a bottle of wine and drink it at home with some cheese, crackers and grapes. This is also when I started wearing big "Jody Watley" sized hoop earrings, took a "younger" lover (he was 18 and I was 21) and I thought I was so bohemian. I think about that now and it makes me laugh at how young and naive I was, but I loved that feeling of freedom, and every time I hear "Oye Como Va," it reminds me of that space in time and I can't help but smile fondly at the young woman I was.

Now, don't get me wrong - although I look fondly back at that time, I'm enjoying now a lot, too. I feel like I'm going through a renaissance right now. Coming out of a dark period in my life and plunging into the light. I have looked around and realized that I'm not getting any younger and there's still a lot that I want to do! It's very exciting thinking of the prospects that the future might bring! It's just a matter of going out and getting it!

It will be interesting what the theme song for this time in my life will end up being!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and that you have a great week!

:-)
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Smyrna, Georgia Forecast Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com